Art and Design
At Clehonger Primary School, we offer children the opportunity to learn about the visual world and how other artists have interpreted it through history. They can gain an understanding and an appreciation of the methods and motives of people and other cultures and times. Children have the chance to learn how to handle a wide range of tools and materials skillfully so that they can express their own ideas and feelings, respond to their experiences, explore their environment and develop their imagination.
Across the key stages, children are given the opportunity to build on the six skills of
- and the use of IT.
Art is mainly taught in alternate half termly blocks in conjunction with Design Technology alongside themed art weeks throughout the year.
At Clehonger Primary school, we aim to:
- Provide an environment that fosters aesthetic awareness and promotes a positive attitude towards art.
- Develop imagination and creativity.
- Develop the ability to use art as a form of communication and expression.
- Develop skills and techniques associated with investigating and making in art, craft and design i.e. skills of observation, collaboration, planning, manipulation and selection of media, materials and tools.
- Develop an understanding of the basic elements of art: line, tone, colour, pattern, texture, shape, form and space.
- Increase knowledge of the work of artists and designers.
- Train children in the safe and appropriate use and maintenance of tools and techniques in accordance with health and safety requirements.
- Extend and enrich other curriculum areas through art.